In today’s business environment, savings and efficiency are at a premium. One innovative way to save both money and time can be found in office printers with duplex printing capabilities. Also known as double-sided printing, this is a feature found in certain multifunction printers and computer printers that allow for the simultaneous printing of both sides of one sheet of paper. Is this a feature that you’d like to incorporate into your business plan? Here are some things to consider in your decision.
What Cost Savings Does Duplex Printing Offer My Business?
- It has been estimated that the average U.S. office worker uses upwards of 10,000 sheets of paper a year.
- The amount of paper cost savings attributed to the utilization of duplex printing can range between 30-50 percent. That’s a benefit that’s hard to ignore.
- In those instances where you are shipping lengthy documents a 50 percent reduction in the amount of paper will have a beneficial impact on your shipping costs.
Will My Current Printer Print on Both Sides of Paper?
- Almost any printer allows for the printing of both sides of the paper, either via a manual duplexing process or by activating the automatic duplexing feature in your printer software or on the printer itself.
- If your printer only provides for manual duplexing it may be time for an upgrade. Manual duplexing requires someone to feed the paper twice, which increases labor costs. With auto duplexing you load the paper once and the printer does the rest, printing the pages sequentially in order before printing each successive page.
- If your printer does not have the automatic duplexing option it may be that it can be installed by replacing the panel on the back of the printer. Consult with a company specializing in office technology to see if this option will work for you.
Is There Any Downside to Automatic Duplexing?
It is important to keep in mind that this feature does not work with all varieties of papers or printing needs. For instance, thick papers like vellums might be prone to excessive jams, and envelopes and papers used for labels or that are perforated may present problems.
If you need to learn more about the benefits of automatic duplexing and your business is located in the Santa Rosa area, contact Simple Office Solutions for a knowledgeable and professional evaluation.